Continuing education, or CE, is a necessary step to complete the renewal of your real estate license at the end of each license term. Every state has different requirements, but NJ salespersons and brokers are required to complete 12 credit hours of CE applicable to the license term.
These 12 credit hours must include a minimum of six credits from the core topics, and of those six credits, two must be on Ethics, and one must be on Fair Housing & New Jersey Law Against Discrimination. The other core topics include:
- Legal Issues (i.e. listing agreements, contracts, leases, attorney review)
- Ethics (2 Ethics credits mandatory)
- Fair Housing and New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (NJLAD) (1 Fair Housing & NJLAD credit mandatory)
- New Jersey Real Estate Broker and Salesperson Statues and Regulations
- State and Federal Environmental Laws/Regulations Pertaining to Real Estate
- Legal Requirements regarding Escrow Monies and Financial Recordkeeping
- Real Estate Licensee Safety
- Real Estate Financial Literacy and Planning
The remaining elective six credits can be spent however you want, including on other core topics or on the following list of elective topics:
- Commercial Real Estate
- Property Management
- Seasonal Rentals
- Real Estate Sales Full Disclosure Act and Real Estate Timeshare Act
- Land Use
- Real Estate Valuation
- Foreclosure and Short-Sale Transactions
- Specific Aspects of Residential Real Estate Transactions
Are There Exemptions from CE Requirements?
According to the NJREC, licensees who would like to keep their NJ real estate license but are unable to take CE classes may be given either partial or whole waivers on their CR requirements under the following conditions:
- Incapacitating illness
- Active military duty
- Other substantial/unavoidable hardship
Should you receive a waiver for CE, you’ll be required to make up the credits for the core topics the next license term–so instead of 12 total, you’ll need to take 18 total.
Where Can I Register for NJ Real Estate CE Classes?
Our real estate school offers online Zoom classes so you can satisfy your CE requirements from the comfort of your own couch. You can also take them online through our affiliate, Hondros.
Alternatively, if your entire office needs CE credits, we’ll come to you for a flat rate to get your entire office the credits it needs to renew their licenses!